- Order number: 12100
- WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 29323089
Press & awards
The BRAX DSP
The impossible takes a little longer – from the very first idea in 2011 until the sales start at the end of 2018 the all-new BRAX DSP went through the longest and most intensive development process in the history of Audiotec Fischer. Desperately awaited from many customers all over the world we proudly present the most advanced digital signal processor which is – without any doubt – redefining both sound quality and functionality. It is not only the first DSP on the market which deserves to bear the famous BRAX logo but it also elevates the performance standard to an unrivalled level.
Audiotec Fischer didn't spare any effort to carry every single detail of this technological masterpiece to extremes.
The "heart" consists of no less than three (3!) of the most advanced Sigma350 series fixed-point 64 Bit audio DSP's with the incredible processing power of 3.6 billion MAC operations per second. This allows to run the whole system on a native 192 kHz sampling rate, extending the audio frequency range to 80 kHz. The signal conversion is handled by the best sounding A/D and D/A converters from Asahi Kasei with specifications beyond imagination.
Enormous care has been taken for the design of the power supply which is the essential foundation for perfect sound quality. A host of fifty-five voltage regulators cleans and stabilizes all the supply voltages for every single stage separately. A new high-performance 32 Bit CoProcessor (ACO) supervises every operation and assures fastest communication with the DSP PC-Tool software and the optional remote control DIRECTOR.
But besides all its technical merits, the BRAX DSP marks the beginning of a new era in terms of connectivity as well. Its unique modular concept allows to configure the inputs and outputs either as analog , digital or a mix of it. It is hard to conceive that with this flexibility the BRAX DSP won't be able to support any kind of system configuration, neither today nor in the future. The “total work of art” is completed by a mechanical concept which gives the impression of immortality at first glance.
Again, the enormous expenditure – from the massive heatsink in BRAX typical straight-lined design to the cinch jacks milled from the solid – is discernible down to the most minute detail.
- Three extraordinary powerful “fixed point” Sigma350 audio DSP's with 64 Bit resolution and a total of 3.6 billion MAC operations per second calculating power
- State-of-the-art Asahi Kasei "Velvet Sound" A/D and D/A converters with a native resolution of 32 Bit
- 192 kHz sample rate for ultra High-Res audio bandwidth up to 80 kHz
- Benchmark specifications for e.g. signal-to-noise ratio and total harmonic distortion, close to measuring limits
- Modular 8-channel in / 12-channel out concept with exchangeable stereo analog or digital input / output modules for covering all possible system configurations
- 4 stereo input modules with either analog RCA / Cinch and Highlevel or digital optical / coaxial SPDIF input
- 6 stereo output modules with either analog RCA / Cinch or digital optical / coaxial SPDIF outputs
- Output modules with switchable sampling rate of 48, 96 or 192 kHz
- Analog output modules with variable filter characteristics and switchable output voltage of 2, 4 or 8 Volts
- Muting of the analog output stages via relays with gold-plated contacts
- Additional stereo SPDIF input (optical / coaxial) as well as a Link module for system extensions
- Double BRAX Extension Card slot (BEC) for optional input / output modules like Bluetooth® Audio Streaming, High Resolution Audio Streaming via USB etc.
- Unique DSP Sound Effects such as the “Augmented Bass Processing” which dynamically optimizes the bass response of the subwoofer, the “StageXpander” that significantly widens the stereo perspective, the “RealCenter” function, which allows a perfectly focussed sound staging for both driver and co-driver and much more
- Incomparably complex power supply concept with a total of 55 voltage regulators and start-stop capability
- DiSAC (Digital Signal Analog Controlled) volume control in combination with BRAX MX4 PRO Amplifier
- ACO – Advanced 32 Bit CoProcessor for all control and communication tasks
- 10 internal memory locations for sound setups
- Setup switching within milliseconds
- High-speed data transfer and improved usability
- Solely made from the very best components with lowest tolerances, fitted in a rock-solid aluminum housing
- Eight-fold layer main PC board for ultra-low impedance signal and power supply transmission
- Analog audio signal transmission solely on the in- and output modules
The “RealCenter” feature is an algorithm, developed by Audiotec Fischer, that emphasizes the music information which is present in both the left and right front channel to create an unique center signal. In contrast to common procedures, in which only the channels are summed up, the intensity of the center signal is also dynamically controlled by the stereophonic informational content of the left and right channel.
Sounds complicated but this effect is astonishing: That means if solely the left or right channel delivers an audio signal, the center channel will not reproduce a signal. In the case of common algorithms, the volume level of the center channel is only reduced by 6 dB (= half volume level). Audiotec Fischer’s “RealCenter” allows a unique, broadened sound staging for both driver and co-driver at the same time! Therefore, the disadvantages of a conventional center channel, such as an intrusive, small sound stage, are things of the past.
Augmented Bass Processing
Audiotec Fischer’s proprietary “Augmented Bass Processing”, consisting of the two revolutionary sound features “Dynamic Bass Enhancement” and “SubXpander”, has been especially developed to dramatically improve the bass reproduction of subwoofers.
The “Dynamic Bass Enhancement” ingeniously combines maximum deep bass and highest sound pressure - regardless of the music style or the tone controls in the head unit. Depending on the input signal, the “Dynamic Bass Enhancement” gains the lower frequency range and varies the cut-off frequency of the subsonic filter. The result is a significantly more powerful and deeper bass response at low and medium volume levels without the risk of overloading the subwoofer neither mechanically nor electrically at high volume levels. It is simply fascinating which bass performance is suddenly possible.
If you want an even lower and “darker” bass reproduction, the “SubXpander” can be additionally activated. Therefore, subharmonic tones are added to the fundamental tones in the frequency range between 50 and 100 Hz.
Depending on the speaker arrangement in the vehicle, a more or less wide stereo sound stage can be created on the front seats. A center speaker may limit the spatial reproduction of the music additionally. This is where Audiotec Fischer’s new “StageXpander” comes into play – a sound feature which seems to break the acoustic limitations and thus allows to create a way broader stereo base without negatively affecting the precision of the localization of voices or instruments!
The effect can be adjusted according to your personal preferences in four steps.
You are looking for more transparency and substance in the treble reproduction? With the “ClarityXpander” Audiotec Fischer is now offering the right tool. Properly adjusted (and therefore selectable in three steps) the feature adds additional harmonics in the upper frequency range – this is especially useful if the original speakers lack some brilliance in the treble response. The extra treble-kick is not only available for the two front channels but also separately adjustable for the center channel. Even better - the center channel allows to activate an automatic and dynamic control so that music with “loads” of treble doesn’t fatigue your hearing.
|Inputs||Up to 8 x RCA / Cinch + 8 x highlevel speaker input
up to 4 x stereo SPDIF in optical / coaxial
1 x Optical SPDIF (12 - 96 kHz)
1 x Coaxial SPDIF (12 - 192 kHz)
1 x Remote In
1 x Remote control input
|Input sensitivity||RCA / Cinch 1 - 8 Volts
Highlevel 3.5 - 30 Volts
|Outputs||Up to 12 x RCA / Cinch
up to 6 x stereo SPDIF out optical / coaxial (48 / 96 / 192 kHz)
1 x Remote Out
1x SPDIF Link
|Output voltage||2 / 4 / 8 Volt RMS adjustable|
|Frequency response||5 Hz - 80,000 Hz|
|DSP resolution||64 Bit|
|DSP power||3 x 295 MHz (3.6 Mrd. MAC operations/sec|
|Sampling rate||192 kHz|
|DSP type||3 x Audio signal processor|
|Signal converters||A/D: Asahi Kasei AK5572EN 32 Bit
D/A: Asahi Kasei AK4490EQ 32 Bit
|Signal-to-noise ratio digital input||122 dB (A-weighted)|
|Signal-to-noise ratio analog input||116 dB (A-weighted)|
|Total harmonic distortion (THD+N) digital input||< 0.0004 %|
|Total harmonic distortion (THD+N) analog input||< 0.0006 %|
|IM distortion (IMD) digital input||< 0.0013 %|
|IM distortion (IMD) analog input||< 0.002 %|
|Crosstalk||> 110 dB (1 kHz)|
|Operating voltage||10.5 - 16 Volt (max. 5 sec. down to 6 Volts)|
|Current draw||2400 mA|
|Max. remote output current||500 mA|
|Additional features||Modular input / output concept, 2 x BEC Slot, ground lift switch, 32 Bit CoProcessor, control Input, ADEP.3 circuitry, Auto remote switch, DiSAC volume control in combination with BRAX MATRIX MX4 PRO|
|Dimensions (H x W x D)||310 x 200 x 56 mm /
12.21 x 7.87 x 2.21"
Scope of delivery
1 x High-end signal processor BRAX DSP
1 x USB cable
2 x Allen key
1 x Instruction manual